GlucoMenu: Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Friday, May 24, 2013
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
Grocery shopping can be time consuming and frustrating for those with Diabetes.
Focus on shopping around the perimeter of the store to choose less processed and
more fresh foods (the aisles tend to have less fresh and more processed foods). Many fresh foods will not have food labels, so follow
these tips when shopping:
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
- Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- Attention Members
- Can I eat sugar?
- E-mails to Christine - What should my A1c be?
- Weekly Exercise Tip
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
You are now ready to enter the aisles of the grocery
store. Be cautious of high fat and high sodium items found in the
aisles. Select products to complement the foods you have chosen from the perimeter.
- begin with the produce section - choose a variety of colors
of fresh whole vegetables and fruits,
- next stop is the bakery - this can be a tempting area but
focus your attention on whole grain breads,
- move to the meat department and choose seafood, poultry, and smaller
amounts of other lean meats,
- last stop around the perimeter is the dairy section - focus
on fat free and low fat milk, cheese, and yogurt.
Please "Like" Us!
We just implemented the "Like" button. Please click the "Like" button if your enjoy our website.
GlucoMenu® Breakfast Burrito Recipe
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 oz. low sodium mozzarella cheese
1 Mission low carb soft taco size tortilla
1. Pour egg substitute into non-stick skillet. Begin to cook on medium heat.
2. As eggs begin to solidify, add vegetables and cheese and gently fold mixture. Continue to heat until eggs are cooked.
3. Serve mixture on tortilla.
4. Makes 1 burrito.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 223, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Fiber: 12 g, Fat: 7 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 445 mg
Featured Article - Can I eat sugar?
In the past, when someone was diagnosed with diabetes, they were told they should not eat sugar. The thinking was that sugar affected blood sugar more than complex
carbohydrates (table sugar compared to a slice of bread). That thinking has ...
Sugar & Diabetes
Food Picker® Updates
E-mails to Christine - What should my A1c be?
Q: What should my A1c level be?
A: An A1c test is a blood test that reveals how your blood sugar has been over the past 2-3 months. This test can show high blood sugar you are not aware of as a result of blood sugar testing times...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Weekly Exercise Tip
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- Christine's Diabetes Support Group on Facebook - Ask questions, read comments, and get answers from Christine (Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator) as well as other members of the Diabetes Support-Group.
Join me on Facebook!
- We are looking for people to participate in our ongoing Diabetes Self-Management Study.
Send me an e-mail if you are interested in the Diabetes Study: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below to learn more.
Diabetes Self-Management Study
- Let's talk! I've set aside every Friday to chat with customers and see how things are going.
Send me an e-mail: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below.
Schedule a Telephone Call w/ Christine
1. Recently diagnosed & scared
2. Does stress affect diabetes control?
3. Can I make pre-diabetes go away?
4. Craving sweets
5. Actose? (response)
6. Type 1 & weight loss help (response)
I went online and found your program. WOW, I am so impressed with how you have 'put it all together.'
I started on your breakfasts menu Friday morning and shopped with your shopping list Friday. What a manageable program.