GlucoMenu: Diabetes Newsletter
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Diabetic Blood Sugar Goals
I have Diabetes, what should my blood sugar be? Where should blood sugar be to avoid complications? What are normal blood sugar ranges for healthy people?
Diabetic Blood Sugar Goals
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Diabetic Blood Sugar Goals
- Apple Nut Crisp Recipe
- Attention Members
- Keeping a Blood Sugar Log
- What kind of nuts should I buy? (E-mails to Christine)
- Weekly Exercise Tip
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
GlucoMenu® Apple Nut Crisp
3 cups apple slices
4 T. Sugar Twin brown sugar substitute
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
3 T. wheat flour
3 T. Brummel & Brown light margarine spread
3 T. chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dry instant oatmeal
3 T. water
1. Place apple slices in a medium baking dish (about 9x9 inch).
2. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar substitute, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and oatmeal.
3. Cut in margarine until coarse. Add walnuts.
4. Evenly spread oatmeal mixture over apple slices.
5. Bake at 350 degrees. Half way through baking time, add water to apples and gently toss mixture.
6. Continue to bake until oatmeal mixture is golden brown and fruit is soft (total baking time about 40 minutes).
7. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 166, Carbohydrate: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 8 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 142 mg
Tip of the Week - Keeping a Blood Sugar Log
Keeping a blood sugar log (booklet or handheld device) can help with diabetes management.
- Christine's Diabetes Support Group on Facebook - Ask questions, read comments, and get answers from Christine (Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator) as well as other members of the Diabetes Support-Group.
Join me on Facebook!
- Do you have a Diabetes success story to share? Share your story by sending an e-mail to: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below.
Share your Diabetes Success Story
- Let's talk! I've set aside every Friday to chat with customers and see how things are going.
Send me an e-mail: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below.
Schedule a Telephone Call w/ Christine
A log can help you and your healthcare team understand how well your diabetes is being controlled and make any necessary adjustments.
Food Picker® Updates
E-mails to Christine
Q: What kind of nuts should I buy?
A: Nuts can be a great addition to your meal plan. Nutritionally, they contain fiber and a variety of vitamins and minerals. In addition, they are cholesterol free and contain unsaturated fats (including monounsaturated fats). Nuts are high in fat and calorie dense so you want to watch portion sizes...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Weekly Exercise Tip
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- date & test time,
- blood sugar reading,
- food consumed, if testing after a meal - (note larger portions
than usual or alcohol consumed), and
- any notes regarding what could be impacting your blood sugar (i.e.
feeling sick or just exercised).
1. Who remembers the first days?
2. Hello to all
3. Friend cannot afford test strips
4. Seeing a Dietitian
5. Looking for a diet plan
6. 2nd opinion
I went online and found your program. WOW, I am so impressed with how you have 'put it all together.'
I started on your breakfasts menu Friday morning and shopped with your shopping list Friday. What a manageable program.