GlucoMenu® Newsletter December 6-12, 2010
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Tip of the Week:
The American Diabetes Association recommends eating 2-3 servings of non-fried fish per week for dietary omega-3 fatty acids. Seafood contains omega-3
fatty acids that are considered a good type of fat because of the benefits they
provide. Omega-3 benefits include:
Message from Christine:
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter covers:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Omega-3s and Diabetes
- Cranberry Almond Granola Recipe
- Medication Checklist
- Dining Out Options? (e-mail to Christine)
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Strive to eat seafood 2-3 times per week!
- reduction of blood triglyceride levels,
- prevention of blood clotting (which can cause blood vessels
to narrow and ultimately become blocked),
- possible reduction of blood pressure, and
- food sources are low in saturated fat.
Featured Article: Medication Checklist
Read on to help make the most of your diabetes medications.
Diabetes Medication Checklist
FOODPICKER® Diabetes v2.0 Now Available!
E-mails to Christine:
Q: We eat out a lot. Could you give us some suggestions for Japanese and Chinese?
A: Dining out can be challenging because of the large portion sizes and the unknown of how foods are prepared. You might look at a few dinners listed on your menu to get an idea of portions prior to dining out. Here are a few suggestions when ordering. Ask how items are prepared prior to ordering...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
GlucoMenu® Support Group:
In this issue:
GlucoMenu® Cranberry Almond Granola
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 t. brown sugar
2 T. honey
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. canola oil
2 T. water
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cup dry oatmeal
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. In mixing bowl, combine oats and wheat germ, set aside.
2. Blend water, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, oil, and vanilla.
3. Stir cinnamon mixture into oats.
4. Spread mixture onto large, shallow pan.
5. Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
6. Add cranberries and almonds and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Cool and store in air tight container.
8. Makes five servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 262, Carbohydrate: 36 g, Fiber: 5 g, Fat: 11 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 2 mg
1. Foot Ulcer
2. Healthy Thinking
3. Diabetes Type II second opinion (Update)
4. Glucophage side effects? (Response)
5. No insurance
6. Insulin resistance getting worse
I'm very pleased to have found GlucoMenu® I like the thoroughness of providing menus, grocery lists, recipes and nutritional analysis. Awesome.
More Customer Reviews...